« Home | These are a few of my Favorite Things » | Paper Part 3 » | Sigmund, Clive Staples, and John Part 2 » | Connecting Scripture to Sigmund Freud to CS Lewis ... » | Blink of an Eye » | Stance in Grace » | PCUSA and the Trinity » | How Great is Our God!!! » | Frontliners » | Sermon Resources »

Embracing Accusations

My friend Michael recently reccomended a song to me by one of my all-time favorite groups "Shane and Shane" The song is called "Embracing Accusations" and at first glance, even if you know Shane Barnard, you begin to wonder if his theology has just gone totally off the deep end. It seems to be essentially a song praising the devil, for he is right.

Shane says he was running on the beach one evening before a show and was meditating on Galatians 3:10:
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written “cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”
He said he was overwhelmed with guilt at this truth from Satan...that because he does not follow everything written in the Book of the Law, he is cursed. Satan was trying to tear apart Shane's faith but instead, ended up preaching the gospel to him. Yes, he is cursed BUT Christ paid that death for us, so he is cursed no longer. For this passage from Galations doesn't end there, it goes onto to say in Galations 3:13:
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written “cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

This song isn't on a CD yet so you can't hear a edited version of it, but thanks to the world of YouTube, you can listen to a scratchy yet still amazing performance by Shane and Shane here

These are the lyrics.

Father of lies, coming to steal kill and destroy
All my hopes of being good enough
I hear him saying, “cursed are the ones who can’t abide”

He’s right, halleluia, he’s right
The devil is preaching the song of the redeemed
That I am cursed and gone astray
I cannot gain salvation
Embracing accusation

Could the father of lies be telling the truth of
God to me tonight?
That if the penalty of sin is death, then death is mine
I hear him saying, “cursed are the ones who can’t abide”

The devil’s singing over me an age old song
That I am cursed and gone astray
Singing the first verse so conveniently over me
He’s forgotten the refrain.
JESUS SAVES!!!


PRAISE GOD. I cannot gain salation. I would never even come close to earning or securing my own righteousness. This is the song that I sing, I was cursed, but Jesus saves. What Satan has meant to condemn me instead cause me to once again look at the cross in awe and humble adoration and overwhelming praise.

Praise God that I serve a risen King who took my curse upon Himself. Praise God Praise God Praise God!!





I couldn't agree more. It is so much more important to focus on the cross than at our sin, otherwise we're become legalistic and dejected. For me, with this song, it makes the cross that much more sweet and wonderful to focus first on the curse, and then on the cross. But you are right...we have to keep the cross at the forefront. Excellent point. :-)

Post a Comment